Monday, January 4, 2016

Happy New Year!

This is my first day back to work this year!

My plan this year is to try to make a blog post every day I work.  I may not have much to say unless we have a program coming up or summer reading is upon us, but I am determined to be a little more diligent.

Today's project:

Our library collection is bursting at the seams so it's time to "weed".
That may sound strange, but weeding books is much like weeding your yard or garden.  You are trying to make room for the items you want.  Books may be old, or in poor condition, or just not being read anymore.

Currently I am reviewing all young adult paperbacks that have not circulated in 3 years or more.  I have a list of about 200 to look at.  When I finish with the paperbacks I will work on the hardback books, of which I have a list of 800!
Not all of these books will be pulled, sometimes there are compelling reasons to keep them.  But, I do have to review each and every one to make that decision.

What do we do with the books we pull out of circulation?  All of these will be given to our Friends of Marshall Public Library (FOMPL) to sell in upcoming book sales!  A win-win if you ask me.

So here's to a New Year, a fresh start, and more new books!

INCENTIVE:  If you find the following  picture in any of my future blog posts, come in and tell me
and I will give you a free book!  Today, this one counts.

Cheers!
Kath Ann


No comments: